What are the precautions that need to be taken after hymen repair surgery?
Hymenoplasty is a surgical procedure that is done to restore or repair a ruptured or torn hymen. In many religions and cultures, the hymen is considered a symbol of chastity, whereas according to scientific evidence, it is a thin membrane that partially closes the vaginal opening and is meant to keep infection out from the vagina. Although hymen is considered a symbol of virginity, it may get torn due to many non-sexual activities such as jumping, running or other types of athletic activities. Moreover, in some females, the hymen is not present at birth!
What are the precautions that need to be taken after hymen repair surgery?
Postoperative instructions and care to be taken at home after hymenoplasty:
- You will be given an antibiotic, a laxative an anti-inflammatory and acetaminophen to control pain. You should take care to complete your course of antibiotics as directed by your physician.
- You should avoid taking a shower for 1-2 days post surgery as it may result in an infection. You can clean your body by rubbing with a slightly wet cloth.
- After two days, you can take a shower. Clean the area of perineum with soap and water. Avoid putting anything inside your vagina. Also, avoid cleaning the inside of your vagina.
- Take off from work for two to three days post surgery and avoid much movement so as to prevent disruption of the wound.
- You may have slight red colored discharge from the vagina for around 5-7 days post surgery. You should avoid using a tampon, instead utilize sanitary napkin. If you develop excessive vaginal bleeding or passage of blood clot, high fever or swelling of the wound, contact your surgeon immediately.
- Until two weeks post surgery, clean your perineal area after passing urine using sanitary wipes. After passing stool, you should clean using water and dry gently with clean paper towels. Avoid presence of moisture around the area of the surgical wound and keep it dry so that it heals faster.
- You should avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages and smoke for at least 2 weeks post surgery.
Recovery after hymen repair surgery
Recovery after hymen repair surgery varies in individual persons. Complete healing may take between four and six weeks. It is vital to protect your hymen after the procedure as it takes time to heal. Hymenoplasty has the following recovery protocols:
- Avoid sexual intercourse for at least six weeks after surgery.
- Avoid wearing tight underwear for at least two weeks after surgery.
- Avoid using tampons for at least six weeks after surgery. Instead, wear sanitary napkins.
How much time is required for recovery after a hymen repair surgery procedure?
Nowadays many females are seeking hymenoplasty, which is a reconstruction of hymen due to various reasons. Hymenoplasty is a procedure in which the hymen is repaired surgically. The hymen is a membrane, which closes the vaginal opening partially. In many religions and cultures, an unbroken or intact hymen is conventionally taken as a proof of virginity.
The hymen may become ruptured or torn due to various reasons apart from intercourse including tampon insertion and vigorous exercise. Due to this, many females want to get the reconstruction of their hymens, which can be done by a surgical repair procedure.
What are the reasons to get hymenoplasty?
A female may want to undergo surgical repair of her hymen due to a variety of reasons, some of which are:
Religious or cultural reasons: In certain cultures, it is considered very significant to have an unbroken or intact hymen as it signifies chastity of a female. A female’s hymen may tear during sexual intercourse or otherwise. A female may want to prove chastity or virginity by undergoing cosmetic surgery to repair her hymen.
Psychological healing: A female’s hymen may get torn during rape or sexual assault. She may undergo hymen repair surgery to have both psychological and physical healing of the abuse.
Injury to hymen: Hymen may tear in some females due to insertion of tampons or physical exercise. A female may undergo hymen repair surgery in such cases.
Revirgination: A female may want to restore her virginity in case she is starting a relationship with a different partner and her hymen has already been broken by sexual intercourse.
How long does it take to heal after hymen repair surgery?
Hymen repair surgery is a simple procedure and it takes less than half an hour to complete. The recovery is quick. You may have some spotting and discomfort during the initial 48-72 hours. You can take pain relievers for the discomfort following hymenoplasty.
Complete healing from hymen repair surgery takes between four and six weeks. You can go home shortly after the surgery but it is important to rest and relax. It is crucial to protect your hymen post surgery as it takes some time to heal.
You have to follow the below-mentioned recovery protocols post surgery:
- Abstain from sexual intercourse for about six weeks post surgery as it will worsen soreness and pain.
- Avoid wearing tight underwear such as thongs for at least one to two weeks post-surgery.
- Avoid using tampons post surgery. Instead, use sanitary napkins for the duration of at least six weeks.
What is the time duration after which you can have sexual intercourse following a hymen repair surgery?
Hymen repair surgery is actually surgically repairing the hymen, which is a thin, pink colored membrane that closes vaginal opening partially. In many religions and cultures, an intact or unbroken hymen is considered traditionally Continue reading
A hymen is a pink colored, thin membrane that blocks the entrance to vagina partially. It is situated around ½ an inch inside the vaginal entrance. Continue reading
How long does it take for hymen repair surgery?
What is the time taken to do a hymen repair surgery?
Hymen repair surgery also referred to as hymenoplasty, is the procedure of surgically repairing the hymen, which is a membrane partially, closing the vaginal opening. In many religions and cultures, an intact or unbroken hymen is Continue reading
What is virginity restoration procedure? (Hymen Repair)
What is hymen repair surgery? Is it a temporary or a permanent surgical procedure?
The hymen is a membrane or a thin tissue layer that is usually not broken in young females (virgins) and forms a barrier to vaginal entrance. In certain cultures, an intact hymen is considered to be very important. In certain cases, Continue reading
Recovery time after C-section delivery
A caesarean delivery is defined as the delivery of a baby via a surgical opening in the mother’s lower abdominal region. It is also called C-section.You need more recovery time after a C-section delivery than a normal delivery. Regular monitoring is necessary following caesarean delivery to check the vitals and problems, Continue reading
Bleeding during pregnancy
Any type of bleeding during pregnancy can be distressing and cause concern. Slight bleeding occurring during the first trimester is usually normal posing no risk to the mother and baby. However, a health care provide should always Continue reading
Diabetes that occurs during pregnancy is called gestational diabetes. It usually affects women during 24th week of pregnancy. Similar to the other type of diabetes (type 1 and type 2) gestational diabetes also Continue reading
Swelling and varicose veins during pregnancy
Varicose veins and swelling are common conditions seen during pregnancy.
A varicose vein is defined as swelling in the veins, which bulge near the skin surface. The condition mostly affects the superficial veins of the legs. The veins appear as purple or blue in colour. Continue reading